Saturday, February 6, 2010

Top 10 ways of recognizing a Hyderabadi

Now that I have written the Top 10 ways of recognizing a Bengalurean, there has been a clamour from 75% of my readers (in simple terms 3 of the 4) about how I have forgotten about Hyderabad. There were some hisses and choice words at me for having forgotten about my city - "Kya mian? Kaiku bhool gaye hum logon ko. Paagalan dikhre tumare ko?". So I had to do justice to the city of the Nawabs and come out with a Top 10 of recognizing a Hyderabadi - before I pen it down, let me make a disclaimer that some of them might have done the rounds before so please forgive me.

10. Your house address could be a complicated string of numbers and characters 1like -1-265/2/C but actually you could be living right beside the Charminar

9. "Kal Parson"can mean any time in the past or future. Like for example "Hum logan kal parson World Cup jite the" or "Kal thak ho jayega"

8. Even if you are Telugu, you speak in Hindi with friends. Even if you do speak Telugu, you mix it with Hindi words like "Nenu aayanu ku Samjha inchina"

7. You cross a one way street looking at both sides and your heart in the mouth.

6. You have at least 1 relative living in the US and 1 on the way

5. A red light at a traffic signal is a just a mere suggestion not a rule.

4. "Idhar hi hai ghar - seedha jao " can actually mean 4 kms and involve at least 3 turns

3. You believe that Hyderabad is the IT Capital even if it is behind Bengaluru in terms of software revenue.

2. You start late for any appointment and then drive like crazy to try to reach on time

1. "Traffic Rules" are an oxymoron!!

And of course, if you are smiling as you read this, you are a true Hyderabadi!

So until the next post - I will enjoy my Irani chai, bun maska and Osmania biscuits. Or maybe that delicious biryani in Paradise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was really funny..:-). I saw myself in this so guess I am a true Hyderabadi!

Dileep Pharsiyawar said...

I lived in Hyderabad for 2 years and agree with all the points you have mentioned, especially the following one- not only my heart, other 2 hearts used to be in my mouth!!!!

7. You cross a one way street looking at both sides and your heart in the mouth.

Rajesh Pillai said...

Hyderabadi once Hyderabadi forever.. Vishnu, u seriously have good writing skills. You should explore this further...

Anu G said...

Haha, I was nodding and laughing thru the whole post. I am now fully convinced I am a true Hyderabadi.